Released in November 2017, Thor: Ragnarok starring Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Mark Ruffalo, Cate Blanchett, Tessa Thompson, Idris Elba and the legendary Jeff Goldblum and Anthony Hopkins, Thor: Ragnarok was Marvels first experience of filming in Australia.
Under the Direction of Taika Waititi, this film made the most of filming at Village Roadshow Studios and within South East Queensland to capture the look and feeling that was envisaged.
- Thor: Ragnarok commenced production at Village Roadshow Studios from January 2016 and continued through until December 2016.
- All 9 production offices, 9 Sound stages including lockups, 6 construction areas and wardrobe areas were utilised.
- Thor Ragnarok was the first production to film in the brand new 40,000ft Sound Stage 9.
- The Studios backlot was used for the first time ever by Marvel for 2 huge sets (Asgard and Sakaar) which were the size of a football field each.
- The production filmed on location in Brisbane City, Mount Tambourine and in a Quarry near the Studios.
- Cast often visited the Village Roadshow Themeparks in their off time
“The Gold Coast was a great place to make a movie. I lived there for six or seven months. It gave us an opportunity to … paint on a brand new canvas. There were just so many amazing new environments we could put on screen … had one of the most amazing crews, ever. It was a great place to live, with my family. Beautiful, beautiful place to be.”